How a Periodontist Can Help You
posted: May 23, 2018.
What your periodontist in Westlake, Ohio wants you to know about periodontal services.
Did you know that a periodontist can make your smile look better? It’s true, because in addition to keeping your gums, supporting bone, and teeth healthy, your periodontist can also perform services to improve the cosmetic beauty of your smile. Dr. Scott Sazima at Westlake Periodontics in Westlake, Ohio wants to share how he can help you.
Periodontists perform many services to manage periodontal disease including:
- Periodontal therapy to keep bacteria levels low, improve and maintain the health of your mouth
- Periodontal and oral surgery to remove unhealthy, diseased tissue in order to create healthy attachment and support for your teeth
What many people don’t realize is that there are also many periodontal services that can improve the look of your smile. A very common problem is bulky, excessive, or uneven gums, what’s called a “gummy smile.” Your periodontist is an expert at remaking your smile by creating a better ratio of gums to teeth. You want people to notice your gorgeous teeth, and not your large, puffy gums.
That’s why your periodontist offers:
- Gum resculpting; this treatment uses a laser to remove excess gum tissue and sculpt more harmonious gum contours.
- Gum recontouring; this treatment surgically removes excess gum tissue, reshapes your gums and provides a higher gumline to show more of your teeth.
- Receding gums are another common issue that can be treated by your periodontist. As your gums recede, your tooth roots become exposed, making teeth sensitive and prone to decay.
Your periodontist treats receding gums with:
Gum grafting; this treatment uses a patch of soft tissue (graft) which is applied to the area of recession. The graft is secured and grows in to replace the lost tissue.
It’s time to think differently about periodontics! Your periodontist can improve the health of your mouth, and the appearance of your smile. If your smile needs a little help, just call Dr. Scott Sazima at Westlake Periodontics in Westlake, Ohio. Find out more by calling today!